This week I worked mainly on an old UFO, formerly known as Comforting Colors/Peculiar Palette, and now renamed Summer Garden. This was supposed to be my RavNotOlympics project, but for some reason I started it on Tuesday... Actually I know the reason-- I thought Tuesday was the beginning of the Olympic Games. What I don't know is why I thought that.
I've been working all month on a mound of Corriedale top-- and by mound I mean 250 grams. I've been plugging away, using a new spindle (which may not have been my best choice given that it's a new fiber for me), and trying out some of the techniques I've learned in the two classes I've taken. Honestly, I hate what I'm getting, and I've ended up tossing almost everything I've made... This happened with my very first go at spinning (also with Corriedale, now that I think of it-- it was a very cheap felting pack from an LYS), and also with about 10 oz of mysterious and poorly prepped wool I got from a trade (way too much VM for me to handle, and seriously fuzzy. If I'd saved it I might have been able to do something with it later, but I got so frustrated I just chucked it after making a huge mess).
Anyway, I'm beginning to think I may not get any yarn out of this at all... but spinning is still spinning, right? The prep on this stuff is very nicely done, I just hate working with it; it's too smooth for a woolen draw and I can't get it to draft thin enough for a consistent worsted spin. It's definitely me, though, and not it.
Year of Projects List in Progress (week 1/50)
From the 2012 list
- Devin's Irish Sweater (WIP, started 20 May 2012)
- Mad Tosh Tosh Merino in Fathom Sweater (yarn on hand and caked; pattern: Gramps Cardigan)
On the needles, in one way on another
- Bevy (orange) Socks (WIP, started 01 June 2012)
- Zhen Zen (blue) Socks (UFO, started 30 June 2012)
- Willamette Scarf (UFO started 13 April 2012)
- Particular Palette Scarf -> Summer Garden Scarf, (UFO from 2011, frogged and now a WIP; no pattern)
- Alpaca Something (UFO of my own design needs some sort of definitive action)
- Scraps 1- Squares (long-term project needs to be planned and defined)
- Scraps 2-Puffs (long-term project needs to be planned and defined)
- Devin (need a pattern and to choose yarn)
- Dad (need a pattern and to choose yarn)
- hand-spun book cover for Devin (yarn: green Targhee, pattern: improvised)
- Akoya (yarn on hand)
- Hunter St Cowl (need to choose yarn)
- Borough (need to choose yarn)
- Sheep Heid (this is the one project I'm planning on buying yarn for)
I'd like to successfully make a...
- Lace-weight sweater (need to choose yarn and pattern)
Socks, always socks
- SKA 1
- SKA 2
- SKA 3
- SKA 4
- SKA 5
- Dad 1
- Dad 2
- Socks to make me happy 1 (probably toe-up, plain, with stripey yarn)
- Socks to make me happy 2 (probably toe-up, plain, with stripey yarn)
- Socks to make me happy 3 (probably toe-up, plain, with stripey yarn)
This space reserved for when I go off plan.
Project: Stashdown (skeins in/out)
week 1: 4/0 (I went on a mini yarn crawl with an out-of-town Raveller, and I fell off my cold sheep. Then I got a swap package in the mail... I'm back on the sheep now, though, and knitting like mad to make up for it!)
week 1: Corriedale in "Iceberg" , 1 & 1/8 oz spun
Project: Big Life Event
Project: Weight Watchers
Not a good week. It started out as a good week, but slid into a GF pizza 'round Tuesday, and then there were potato chips... I think I had an issue with saying no this week, between the food and the wool, and the job applications staring at me from the computer.