As much as I wanted to finish it for the wedding, I'm not actually going to kill myself trying to get the last 35 rows done (plus the bind off) before Sunday, thus rendering me miserable and unaccessible to our guests. We still have a lovely chuppah, and we will have a finished Celestarium at some point in the future.
Anyway, the first fleece soaks for over a week, releasing its suint into the water, and then you switch it out for the next one, which only needs a couple of days. The first fleece I used wasn't well prepped (by me), and so didn't come out particularly useable as spinning wool, but I was really careful about keeping the lock structure intact with the Icelandic fleece, and I think I got a lot of useable wool out of it. I'm pretty excited-- I've got three tiers of drying racks out on the deck, and I think the wool will be ready to sample by the time I'm done plying the shetland currently on the wheel.
I started out keeping my list fifty weeks ago, with 27 specific knitting projects, and four other goals around stashing down, spinning, losing weight, and the wedding. After the first fourteen weeks or so, I stopped publicly tracking the wedding, stashdown and weightloss goals-- although I did talk about them briefly on my blogiversary in February. I also stopped tracking my spinning after I got my Ladybug wheel at the beginning of this calendar year; my production increased so dramatically that I was able to spin as much in one month as I'd expected to spin in a year on my spindles; at that point, I set up the Tea & Cake page for finished spinning to mimic my On Beyond Squares page for my knitting.
As for the original list of 27 knitting projects, that list grew to 35 projects at certain points in the year, and then shrunk down again to 26. Some projects that were on the original list made it through to the end (and to being FOs) and some were swapped out or simply jettisoned when I lost motivation, interest, or realized my eyes were so much bigger than my scheduled knitting time could accommodate. In the end, I finished 17 knitting projects in 50 weeks, and I'm pretty happy with myself... and I'm definitely mulling on what my next list might look like.
It's going to take me a little while to set up the next list-- there's that wedding thing happening this weekend, and then a little trip that we're taking, and then packing up and moving states by the end of the month... but I had some project thoughts a couple weeks ago, and I'll be thinking about that list as we drive south. I'll have some knitting with me, although I haven't quite decided what, and a spindle (because it's Tour de Fleece, and traveling with a wheel seems a little cumbersome), and as soon as things are little calmer on the ground, I really hope to be back in this space more regularly. I love the community that came out of the Year of Projects, and I'm looking forward to another year with all you lovely people!
I'll leave you with my list of FOs from this year, because I think it's a pretty good list, if I do say so myself.
- socks, vanilla (Pattern: none; toe-up ribbed/Yarn: Fleece Artist Merino 2/6/FINISHED 21 June)
- January Socks (Pattern: Park City Socks/Yarn: Berocco Ultra Alpaca Fine/FINISHED 31 May)
- nook cover (Pattern: none/Yarn: Handspun/FINISHED 01 May)
- Line Break shawl (Pattern: Line Break/Yarn: MadTosh TML/FINISHED 13 April)
- handspun coffee cozy (no pattern/handspun yarn/FINISHED 24 February)
- coldcoldcold cowl (Pattern: CarbonEssence/Yarn: BMFA Marine-Silk Sport/FINISHED 27 January)
- Fathom-colorwork sweater (Pattern: Blue Betty/Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Merino/ FINISHED 02 January)
- SKA October 2012-socks for Mom (Pattern: Phloem/Yarn: Shalimar Breathless/FINISHED 11 December)
- mitts for Dad (no pattern/Yarn: Aslan Trends Ecolana/FINISHED 12 December)
- Something for the newest little Proios (Patterns: It's My Party Hat & Chaussons mignons/Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted/FINISHED 14 December)
- [Proto]mitts for me (Pattern: none/Yarn: Jamieson's Shetland Heather Aran/FINISHED 29 November)
- Summer Garden Scarf (Pattern: none/Yarn: Araucania Chaiten, Plymouth Royal Llama Linen/FINISHED 27 November)
- Obsessions Hat (Pattern: Sideways Grande Hat/Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist Big Baby/FINISHED 21 November)
- Devin's Irish Sweater (Pattern: Killybegs/Yarn: Cascade Eco+/FINISHED 01 November)
- Circus Socks (Pattern: none/Yarn: Shibui Sock (love!!)/FINISHED 03 October)
- SKA June 2012 (Pattern: Bevy Socks/Yarn: Malabrigo Sock/ FINISHED o1 August)
- Pattern: Ocean Waves Hat/Yarn: Malabrigo Rios/FINISHED 29 July