The hat took half a skein.
But, in the summer of 2011, I decided I wanted to try knitting with the silk-- silk and summer knitting generally mesh well, right? So I cast on for a triangular garter stitch shawlette.
I finished it rather quickly, and realized that not only did I have about half a skein left, I hated the shawlette. A lot. And it wasn't the kind of hatred that was going to mellow over time. I decided it was the colorway, and in order to balance out the variegation I sought out a coordinating solid-- which turned up in a llama/linen blend.
At this point I wanted to bury the yarn in a plexiglass above-ground container so that I could watch it decompose, but I knew that wasn't actually the appropriate response to silk, llama, and linen. So, once more I cast on. This time, circularly.
It was incredibly boring. It took me a really long time. But now (as of Monday), I have a finished object. And, while it's still not to my taste, I don't hate it as much as I hated its previous incarnations.
In other finishes this week, I made mitts and plied some handspun.