First up: I actually knit something! It's been awhile-- I figured out that I'm not loving my current knitting projects (the sock and the sweater that I've been working on for the last six weeks); I think I'll love the finished objects, but the process for both is a bit tedious at this moment. So, I decided to give myself a break and knit something small and silly-- enter the coffee cup cozy.
I knit one of these last year for Devin out of scraps, and she's been asking for another, larger one. I grabbed a skein of my recent handspun, held it doubled, cast on an odd number of stitches, and k1, p1 in the round until the yarn ran out.
I will say that this batt demonstrated one of those color theory things that I'm aware of intellectually, but never really think about in practice. It was primarily orange, but shot through with purple firestar (or something similarly shiny). The result? Unless you're up close, the yarn ended up looking brown.
I also made my first 3-ply on my wheel. I have a giant bag (23 ounces!) of lovely wool roving-- I don't know the specific breed, but it's a long wool, clearly, and has a nice luster. I took about half of it, and spun three bobbins long draw. In the spirit of transparency, I should tell you that in order to get three bobbins, I actually spun at least five. Long-draw is hard.
Anyway, once I had my three bobbins full, I used the kate attached to my Ladybug to ply them together. Mostly I'm a die-hard fan of 2-ply yarns; I've played with navajo plying, and maybe I'll like it better later on, but I really love my 2-ply. So, I was pleasantly surprised at the result of my little 3-ply experiment: I love, love, love the 200 yards I got, and am planning a cabled hat. Possibly the one just released by Carol Feller...